Guidelines For Sewing & Quilting
There are a large number of items that sewers and quilters can contribute for our packs, from flannels to sleeping bags and everything in between. Donations of all of the items listed below can’t keep up with demand, so we really appreciate and rely on those made by our Craft Angels.
Many of these items can be created by 'upcycling' linen and adult clothing, so it's a great way to help babies in need with items you have at home plus some love and time!
We include at least 10 flannels in every pack, so each year we need thousands of flannels for our babies!
- Towelling, microfibre or muslin.
- Upcycled bath towels are fine to use as long as they are in excellent condition (no stains and lightly used only).
- Style: A simple overlocked or bound/hemmed edge.
- Finished measurements: Around 20 x 20 cm.
Burp cloths are really handy to have and we include them in every pack. These are easy to make and a great stash buster.
- Fabric: Include at least one absorbent layer e.g fine toweling, microfibre or upcycled old-style cloth nappies (in excellent condition)
- Style: Choose your favourite and what matches your stash
- Finished measurements: As a guide, a minimum of 15 cm x 40 cm
At least one cot sheet set (1 flat, 1 fitted) is included in every single pack, and we'd love to include more.
- 100% cotton is essential, please no polycotton or polyester
- Upcycled bed sheets are fine to use as long as they are in excellent condition (no stains and very light wear) and you know they are 100% cotton.
- Fitted sheets with elastic all the way around, rather than just at the corners
- Elastic must be fully concealed as this style is more durable with a lot of washing
- Finished measurements:
- Flat sheets: 140 cm x 150 cm
- Fitted sheets: 75 cm x 135 cm x 15 cm
Hooded Baby Towels
Hooded towels are so practical and ensure that bubs is kept nice and warm after their bath, which is so important as the houses they are living in are often very cold.
- Fabric: Towelling, including upcycled spare bath towels in excellent condition
- Style: With a hood attached is preferred
- Finished measurements: Approximately 70 cm x 70 cm (depending on the width of the towel/fabric that you are using)
Nightgowns are fantastic, and are included in every pack, as they enable easy changing and can be worn for longer as they are more forgiving size wise.
- Fabric: 100% cotton or 100% merino (or blended with other natural fibres)
- Style: Long sleeved, envelope neck, either an elasticated or drawstring closer at the bottom
- Sizes: 0 to 3 months, 3 to 6 months and 6 to 12 months
Cotton Quilts or Cotton Blankets
We include a 100% cotton and merino/wool blanket in every single pack.
- Fabric: 100% cotton and other natural fibres (including batting, e.g wool batting))
- Finished measurements:
- Multipurpose pram/bassinet/cot blanket – 80 x 100 cm
- Pram/ bassinet blanket - 70 x 90 cm
- Cot blanket - 100 x 150 cm
Merino blankets are an essential item in all packs going to premature babies – around 30% of all of the packs that Little Sprouts gives away go to premature babies.
- Fabric: 100% merino
- Style: Simple edging is all that is required
- Finished measurements: 100 cm x 100 cm
We can never have enough merino clothing to help keep bubs warm and also to prevent overheating, it's truly the perfect fabric for babies.
- Fabric: 100% merino
- Long sleeved tops with an envelope neck
- Long pants or leggings with an elastic waist
- Small newborn ("Going Home" prem size)
- 0 to 3 months,
- 3 to 6 months
We include a variety of bibs in each pack, and they are hard to get donated by families in fantastic condition - so crafted bibs are really important.
- Fabric: Nothing specific, something that will survive a lot of washing and something absorbent for the backing
- Style: Dribble bibs, feeding bibs, long sleeved bibs
Merino Sleeping Bags
Merino sleeping bags are one of the key safety items that we include in each of our packs.
Every merino sleeping bag we get donated enables us to help one more baby in real need, as they are the most costly item in each pack and they are so hard to get donated.
If you would like make merino sleeping bags for Little Sprouts, please contact us at LittleSproutsCraftAngels@gmail.com to discuss the specifications. We need to ensure all sleeping bags are safe and meet our charity partners requirements.
Playmats (Including Quilted Mats)
Our goal is to include a playmat in every pack, particularly as floors can often be very cold in these homes and this helps to keep baby further away from the cold.
- Playmats and quilts to be used for floor play or as pram blanket can be any fabric that is machine washable
- For safety reasons it is important that playmats and quilted mats be obviously not for sleeping.
- Label: Make sure that you include a label giving details of the fabric used.