Guidelines For Knitting And Crochet
Items Most Need For Our Packs
The knitted and crocheted items we most need for our packs are: blankets, cardigans, vests, singlets, hats, socks and bootees.
If an entire blanket is perhaps too time-consuming or costly then you can create peggy or charm squares, send these to us and they will be turned into wonderful blankets!
When creating items out of yarn either 100% cotton or 100% wool (or blended with other natural fibres) would be wonderful. Many of our packs go to premature babies and for these packs we can only include clothing and bedding made from entirely natural fibres.
Because babies have sensitive skin the softer the yarn you choose, the better. This is particularly important if you are making items that will be next to baby’s skin, like vests.
The gold standard is washable wool - which is always very highly prized.
We don't include acrylic bedding in our packs, but we can include clothing items in some of our packs if they are made from a good wool/acrylic blend. It is best if using a blend to make bigger sizes like 3 to 6 months or 6 to 9 months.
We prefer not to include clothing or bedding items made of acrylic. However, if that is all that you have please make larger sizes (9 months +). Acrylic is also excellent for making toys.
Please do remember to always let us know what your items are made of and attach a label to your creation.
We are always in need of nice warm blankets in a range of sizes.
- Multipurpose pram/bassinet/cot blanket – 80 x 100 cm
- Pram/ bassinet blanket - 70 x 90 cm
- Cot blanket - 100 x 150 cm
Cardigans and vests
Woolly cardies and vest are important practical items for our babies and we are always in need of LOTS of cardies and vests as we include at least FIVE in every pack!
- Sizes: 0 to 3 months, 3 to 6 months, 6 to 12 months
- Cardigan, kimono style or v-neck for easy of getting on and off,
- Practical buttons and closures as will get a lot of wear
Stretchy, ribbed singlets are very practical items as they can be layered under or over other garments and are forgiving in terms of size. They are particularly useful for premature babies.
- Sizes: Newborn, 0 to 3 months, 3 to 6 months
- Style: Ribbed body with a lot of stretch width wise
Hats are an essential and we aim to give our babies a good selection of warm hats and we include at least FIVE in every single pack.
- Sizes: Newborn, 0 to 3 months, 3 to 6 months, 6 to 12 months
- Style: Below the chin closures - avoid for sizes under 9 months as babies often don’t have much in the way of necks, but preferred for sizes over to 9 months to help them stay on.
Socks and booties
- Sizes: Newborn, 0 to 3 months, 3 to 6 months (Infants that are pulling up to stand, cruising and walking can slip in booties, pre-walker sizes are preferred)
- Socks that rise to mid-calf are practical as they tend to stay on better
- Booties with a ribbed cuff or corded closure also stay on better